Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: for omega: pre- and post- processing.
Ads
Sponsor

Your Ad Here

seiichi

Deleted: 3
Rate: +
Points ($): 2023

Mood: porch monkey 4 life!

[*] posted on 1-21-2009 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
for omega: pre- and post- processing.

i watched your video and just around a bit. not sure what "recovery" suppose to do , and i am still learning LM functions.
here is a before and after processing, from a photo session i helped out over the weekend.

please tell me what i need to improve on, thanks,

after/before

Attachment:
Filename: [2]IMG_3619.jpg - Filesize: 789.26kb

Attachment:
Filename: IMG_3619.jpg - Filesize: 281.81kb

"Hey fucko! We like to call it inter-species erotica."
View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger Send Points ($)
akhp

Deleted: 4
Points ($): 4744

[*] posted on 1-22-2009 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote

Although im not an expert, I have to say that you've done a good job on the first one.

Do you think I can do this too on a macbook with iphoto?
GeneralX
Posting Freak

Deleted: 0
Points ($): 52732

[*] posted on 1-22-2009 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote

if you're refering to the recovery of photoshop's camera raw plugin, it helps getting tonal details back from highlights or shadows
again, let omega give a more precise and professional answer:D

and yea you did a good job, details are still there, levels and tones are great

Email: generalx@outie.net
View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member GeneralX's ICQ status Send Points ($)
gookie

Deleted: 1
Points ($): 9763

Mood: T_T

[*] posted on 1-22-2009 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote

yeh, i've recently got a DSLR and realized that my pictures come out pretty dull like your second photo. How did you manage to make to photos more vivid? Do you correct levels?

Get busy living, or get busy dieing.
View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger Send Points ($)
omega
----------------------

Deleted: 5
Points ($): 8355

Mood: z(`.' )s -psshh

[*] posted on 1-22-2009 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote

ok, i think you're off to a good start. color and contrast are much improved. however, overall the image still seems a little dark to me. the white balance also is a bit cool; a little too much blue.

though i believe there's an even larger problem w/ this shot, which cannot be fixed with post-processing. the composition is simply uninteresting. i'm not sure where the focal point of the shot is. is it the picnic supplies? the book on his face? his shoes? the angle of the shot is also too ordinary. it looks like this shot was snapped at eye-level. i would have gotten in closer and lower, to grab more detail in the fruit w/ maybe the book in the background. i dunno. some bokeh would also be nice. the dof here is a bit wide.

i hope my critique was more helpful than discouraging. you just need to experiment; don't be afraid to explore different angles and what-not. :]

View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member Send Points ($)
seiichi

[*] posted on 1-22-2009 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by omega
ok, i think you're off to a good start. color and contrast are much improved. however, overall the image still seems a little dark to me. the white balance also is a bit cool; a little too much blue.

though i believe there's an even larger problem w/ this shot, which cannot be fixed with post-processing. the composition is simply uninteresting. i'm not sure where the focal point of the shot is. is it the picnic supplies? the book on his face? his shoes? the angle of the shot is also too ordinary. it looks like this shot was snapped at eye-level. i would have gotten in closer and lower, to grab more detail in the fruit w/ maybe the book in the background. i dunno. some bokeh would also be nice. the dof here is a bit wide.

i hope my critique was more helpful than discouraging. you just need to experiment; don't be afraid to explore different angles and what-not. :]

none taken. actually i been helping out my friend at his photo shoot, he does mostly stock/ commercial purpose. yes i know, this photo is very "uninteresting" but i had some free time so i just kinda snap some shots.

as far as using "recovery" in LM. should i always edit in raw instead of jpg or tiff?

i think i need to save up for a MAC because my PC is too slow for any raw editing.

thanks bro!

none taken. i was helping out a photo shoot for stocks, and i had some free time on my hand so i pi

seiichi

[*] posted on 1-22-2009 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by omega

dark? so i should increase the exposure? actually with the 40D, i have to +1 on EV because 0 on EV is really dark...but thanks and i will keep practicing.

omega
----------------------

Points ($): 8355

Mood: z(`.' )s -psshh

[*] posted on 1-22-2009 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote

typically i use 'recovery' to bring back blown-out skies. all it does it recover highlight detail.

i only use RAW if i'm shooting something really important. otherwise, i just use jpeg.

as for the exposure of the original pic... this is probably how i would've processed it:

http://i42.tinypic.com/98c0ew.jpg

View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member Send Points ($)
seiichi

[*] posted on 1-22-2009 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote

okay, gotta, thanks! what other lightroom functions are useful when editing?

azncow
weee.. milk!!!

Points ($): 500

Mood: yay~ #2 Premium Member!!!!

[*] posted on 1-22-2009 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote

idk bud... let me sex it up! :headbang: CC welcome omega!

Attachment:
Filename: [3]IMG_3619.jpg - Filesize: 583.67kb

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member Send Points ($)
Digg! Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top